Commencing an Appeal

Q: What is an Appeal? 
Answer: One may commence an appeal by filing a “Notice of Appeal” in the superior court that issued the order or judgment to be appealed.  Consult Arizona Rule of Civil Appellate Procedure 8 (for civil, family, mental health or tax matters), Arizona Rule of Criminal Procedure 31.2 (criminal matters), or Arizona Rule of Procedure for the Juvenile Court 103 (juvenile court matters) for the specific procedures that apply to your appeal.


Industrial Commission (“IC”) appeals are initiated by the filing of a “Petition for Special Action – Industrial Commission” in the Court of Appeals. See the “Guide for Self-Represented (‘Pro Se’ or ‘Pro Per’) Parties” in Worker’s Compensation Case Appeals, located here, for further information about initiating a workers’ compensation appeal.

Any initial document that creates a new case in the Court of Appeals may be filed electronically through AZTurboCourt along with any applicable filing fee.


Filing Documents in the Court of Appeals

Q: When and where can I file a document with the Court of Appeals? 

The Court’s Processing of an Appeal

Q: How long does it take to get a decision on appeal? 

Special Actions


Q: What is a special action? 

Answer: Audio recordings of oral arguments are available here for 30 days after the argument. If you would like the Clerk’s Office to make you a copy of an audio recording, deliver a CD to the Clerk’s Office with your request. Links to video recordings of oral arguments also are here. (Copies of the video recordings are uploaded to YouTube and may be searched there by Court of Appeals case number.) 

Answer: In a civil appeal, there is no right to free legal help or a lawyer who will work for you for free. There is a limited program by which pro bono appellate counsel may volunteer to assist litigants of modest means. A party may act as his or her own lawyer. If you do, however, you are expected to comply with the same rules that lawyers must follow. And you may not act as a lawyer for someone else -- a relative or a corporation that you have an interest in or hold office in.