The Arizona Supreme Court allows admission on motion, allowing eligible candidates to bypass the examination and substitute years of successful, ethical active practice as evidence they meet educational criteria. Candidates must meet specific requirements including, but are not limited to:
- You hold J.D. degree from an ABA accredited law school
- You have actively practiced law for three of the prior five years
- You were admitted by bar examination either in a reciprocal jurisdiction and/or another jurisdiction (If admission by bar examination is in a non-reciprocal jurisdiction, then “active practice” must have occurred in reciprocal jurisdictions)
- You possess current moral fitness
- You have earned (or will earn) a minimum score of 85 on the MPRE during your lifetime
Active practice may occur wholly or partially in a non-reciprocal jurisdiction after admission in reciprocal jurisdiction; there is no requirement that active practice must have occurred in reciprocal jurisdiction. Applicants for admission on motion (AOM) must submit an online application with payment. The AOM application includes all certification and character investigation questions; DO NOT submit a separate Character Report.
More information on Admission on Motion:
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Online application links saved to your computer will not be updated when system maintenance occurs. Whenever portal maintenance is performed you will need to access your online application from a fresh link, not a saved one.
Rules for Admission on Motion - Rule 34(f)
Checklist - helpful hints to begin your application for admission by motion
List of reciprocal and non-reciprocal jurisdictions(PDF)
Before attempting to access the application system print the Navigation Tips pdf(s) below to assist with login and application:
New User Navigation Tips - Create new account and starting new application. If you never accessed the previous system or if you created a contact in the old system but did not start an application, you are a New User.
Returning User Navigation Tips - Checking status or continuing application/admission process. If you previously started or submitted any Arizona Admissions application, you are a Returning User
Begin an application for Admission on Motion
July 23, 2021: The online application system is down for all applications. Please check back on Monday, July 26, 2021.
Register and begin online Course on Arizona Law