The purpose of this two-and-one-half-day course is to equip you with the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary to develop, implement, sustain, evaluate and improve education for court staff. Emphasis is on high quality education that supports the court, its mission, vision, strategic plan, daily operation and service to the public.
Overall Course Goals
- Familiarize you with the unique educational environment in the courts and enable you to link education to improvements and enhancements;
- Provide you with a broad perspective regarding the types/scope of resources that are valuable to educational endeavors and the variety of sources to obtain them;
- Provide you with an overview of effective adult education, its components and its effects;
- Offer you a broad definition of evaluation in educational activities and to discuss the role of evaluation in future planning;
- Provide you with an overall perspective on your roles in effectively utilizing education in the courts.
As a result of this course, you should be able to:
- Identify/describe the unique educational environment of the courts and determine how to link education in your own court to future improvements and enhancements;
- Identify the variety of resources that can support education in the courts and describe effective approaches to obtain those resources in your own court;
- Identify the factors necessary for effective adult education and describe how to make improvements in your own court;
- Identify a variety of ways to evaluate the short and long-term outcomes/effects of education and describe how to improve evaluation of education in your own court;
- Describe the role of court administrators in effectively utilizing education in the courts and complete an action plan for your own activity in making enhancements in your own court.
Course Exercises and Activities
- Court Assessment and Action Plan
- Individual Activities
- Small Group Activities
- Large Group Discussions