Home > Criminal Law  > Sealing Criminal Case Records

If the Petition Is Denied
Please read A.R.S. § 13-911 in its entirety. These Info Sheets are intended to help those who are seeking to file a petition or have had a ruling on a petition to seal a criminal case record under A.R.S. § 13-911. Nothing in these Info Sheets supersedes what is provided in statute and does not restrict local rules and practice of a particular court in processing petitions.

If the court denies your petition to seal case records, you must wait 3 years from the date of the denial to file a new petition. This timing applies when the court makes a ruling and denies your petition.

However, this timing does not apply if your petition to seal your records is dismissed without being ruled on because (1) you filed in the incorrect jurisdiction, (2) you failed to provide sufficient information, (3) the information was incomplete, or (4) you did not pay a required fee.

If the court denied your petition to seal case records, you may only appeal the order if the sole basis for the appeal is your eligibility to petition the court.