Home > Criminal Law  > Sealing Criminal Case Records

Requesting a Hearing
Please read A.R.S. § 13-911 in its entirety. These Info Sheets are intended to help those who are seeking to file a petition or have had a ruling on a petition to seal a criminal case record under A.R.S. § 13-911. Nothing in these Info Sheets supersedes what is provided in statute and does not restrict local rules and practice of a particular court in processing petitions.

A hearing is not required for the court to make a ruling. A hearing may be held if one is requested by the petitioner, prosecutor, victim or on the court’s own motion.

  • If the court determines that a petition is not valid and no hearing is requested, then the court may dismiss the petition without a hearing.

  • If the court determines that it needs additional information in order to make a ruling, and no hearing has been requested by a party, then the court may set a hearing on its own without being requested by a party.

Keep in mind that you cannot request a hearing after the court rules on your petition to seal criminal case records. You must make the request beforehand. If you do not, your only recourse is to appeal but only if the petition is denied because it is not valid. No other basis for appeal is allowed per A.R.S. § 13-4033. If your petition is denied for another reason and you do not request a hearing, you must wait 3 years from the date of denial to file another petition.