Administrative Order 2020-148 impacting ACJA section 5-304 requires current CSOs to complete Training and become certified by 6/30/2021. CSOs hired after 9/11/2019 must complete training and become certified within 90 days of hire (extended to 180 days during the public health emergency by Administrative Directive 2020-07).
- Security contractors are not permitted to attend the Academy at this time.
- Currently sworn AZPOST-certified law enforcement officers who are performing court security functions are not required to attend the Academy (unless they are employed by the court).
Administrative Directive 2019-11
establishes the CSO Academy curriculum and the authority to administer training and certification within the Administrative Office of the Courts. Under this authority, the AOC Education Services Division has established policies to govern certain aspects of the program:
CSO Academy Examination Policy (10/1/2019)
CSO Academy Attendance Policy (10/1/2019)
CSO Instructor Policy (12/10/19)
CSO Computer Based Training (5/14/20)
Court Security Officer Request for Certification
Armed CSO PJ Requirements Form (Appendix A)
Armed CSO Conditions of Arming Form (Appendix B)
Court Security Officer Academy (CSOA)
Officers complete 6 computer-based courses online before attending a 5-day in-person Academy held in Phoenix. The AOC will provide lodging for officers more than 35 miles from the training location. Registration is currently open for the following courses:
Court Security Officer Firearms Academy (CSOFA)
Administrative Order 2020-148 impacting ACJA 5-306 requires currently-armed CSOs to complete the CSO Academy and CSO Firearms Academy before June 30, 2021. Successful completion of the Court Security Officer Academy (CSOA) or current AZ CSO certification is generally required prior to attendance at any Court Security Officer Firearms Academy (for exceptions during the pandemic, see Administrative Directive 2020-07). Please note that Academy registration is first come, first served and must be submitted at least 30 days prior to the training date. Officers will be notified via email if their registration is confirmed or if they must register for another available academy date.
Confirmed CSOFA Dates/locations:
- October 26-29, 2021 - Florence*
- November 2-5, 2021 - Florence* - Cancelled
- December 14-17, 2021 - Florence*
* In the event we are able to increase class size from our current 10 officers to 16 officers, we are accepting up to 16 registrations beginning with June's CSOFA and for each Academy moving forward. Since class size limits are still uncertain, the first 10 registrations will have preference of attendance and the last 6 registrations will be waitlisted.
Pending CSOFA Dates/locations**
- February 8-11, 2022 - Florence
- May 17-20, 2022 - Williams
- August 16-19, 2022 - Williams
- November 15-18 - Florence
** Please hold off on sending registrations for these pending dates as the hotel and range have not been confirmed.
Court Security Guard Academy (CSGA)
The Court Security Guard Academy is a 3-day in-person Academy held in Phoenix for Court Security Guards who are not eligible for certification (contractors, volunteers, non-certified law enforcement). The AOC will provide lodging for court security guards more than 35 miles from the training location. Registration is currently open for the following courses:
Court Security Resources:
This section provides information and continuing education training opportunities to court staff, security officers. and guards.
Court Security Codes Implementation Checklist
Department of Homeland Security Active Shooter Guide
Request for Certification
Judicial Security Best-Practices
Security Assessment Checklist
Security Plan Template
Continuing Education Opportunities: