The Committee on Probation Education (COPE) is comprised of four chief probation officers and four directors of juvenile court services plus members from the Adult Probation Services and Juvenile Justice Services Divisions of the Administrative Office of the Courts, and members-at-large from the community and the judiciary. Committee members serve three-year terms.
The committee administrates the following programs:
- Intensive Probation Institute
- Probation Certification Academy
- Detention Officer Academy
- Defensive Tactics & Firearms Training
- Faculty Skills Development
COPE is responsible for statewide certification of adult and juvenile probation officers. As of July 1, 1995, any person hired as a probation officer by any Superior Court probation department in Arizona is required to attend the Certification Academy. The Certification Academy is designed to provide basic training to all probation officers. Officers who pass the certification test, satisfactorily complete a minimum of one year of employment as a probation officer, and receive a recommendation from their Chief Probation Officer or Director of Juvenile Court Services, are certified by the Arizona Supreme Court as probation officers.
The mission of the Committee on Probation Education is to enhance the ability of Probation Officers, Surveillance Officers and Detention Officers to protect the public by:
- Maintaining a statewide approach to training and education which assures competency, consistency and continuity of knowledge and practice.
- Proving training and education which promotes professional growth, enhances necessary skills and prepares officers to develop in their role.
- Continually assessing the educational needs of officers, the rehabilitative needs of the probationers, and the public’s need for safety.
Attendance Policy (11/7/23)
By Laws (2/20/19)
Examination Policy (11/7/23)
Instructor Policy (11/7/23)
Officer Safety Medical Clearance Policy (3/24/04)
Officer Safety Training Examination Policy (2/17/15)
Probation Training Calendar Link